October 28, 2012

Inspiration.


"As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
 'Martha, Martha,' the Lord answered, 'you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.'
[Luke 10:38-42]

This story has been on my heart for the longest time. I don't think I realized just how much it weighed on my heart until  heard this song by Audrey Assad this past year:




All of the lyrics are amazing, but the ones that spoke to me the most are the opening lines and the verse that follows: 
"I'm Mary and I'm Martha all at the same time;
I'm sitting at His feet and I'm dying to be to be recognized.
Why is it easy to work and hard to rest sometimes,
Sometimes, sometimes..."

Even listening to this song now, months after I heard it the first time, I am haunted by those words. They resonate so deep inside of me that they feel like the words of my own heart crying out. 


I, like many other Catholic women (I suspect, and Audrey confirms), feel the constant inward struggle between "Martha" and "Mary." Like Martha, I am caught up in the worries of this world, but I long to be Mary, peaceful, carefree, Mary, sitting at the feet of the Master, soaking in His love and attention. It seems like it should be so simple to let go of my concerns and sit next to Mary; but, unable to let go, like Audrey, I ask "why is it easy to work and hard to rest sometimes?"


My intention for this blog is to more closely examine that question and my struggle with being "Mary and Martha all at the same time."

I need all the insight I can get into this personal, and yet universal struggle, and so, sisters, I invite you to join me in the Martha & Mary Project.



1 comment:

  1. This is very exciting and a perfect time of the year for it. Sometimes during the holidays we are Marthas but what Jesus really wants is some one on one time with us. Looking forward to see how Jesus will use this Mary and Martha Project to bless your life and those that follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete