November 6, 2012

Jesus speaks to Martha and Me

While trying to "get inspired" for my second post, I decided to go back to the Source and read the story of Martha and Mary again, this time, in Latin (yes, I'm kind of a nerd).

Reading it this time, Jesus' first words to Martha really stood out to me:

"Martha, Martha, sollicita es et turbaris erga plurima." [Luke 10:41]

Martha, Martha, you are anxious and confused about the greatest number of things.

My translation was formed by the word choices that resonated with me the most.

 The word turbaris made the big impact on me. It placed in my mind the image of a boat or a ship on a turbulent sea. It reminded me of the way my heart often feels-- out of control, tossed in the winds of my worries and fears.

The meaning of the word plurima surprised me. Most translations simply take it to mean "many things," however, I discovered it can have more weight than that. It can mean: "most/great number of things; greatest amount; very much; the most possible;"

I get the feeling that Jesus is speaking to something much deeper than Martha's surface worries about the house being clean or there being enough food. He tells her she is worried about more than many things, she is worried about the greatest number of things. I think He is looking past her outward worries and gazing straight into her heart, truly seeing her most intimate worries and insecurities.

Jesus is saying something very profound about the heart of a woman when he speaks to Martha here. He is noting the fact that we women can worry about an infinite number of things all at once. So many of our worries are justifiable, and we so often worry out of love for others. Jesus isn't belittling any of the things she is worried about, but He is re-grounding her in the Truth, that is, that "only one thing is necessary." That one thing, I believe, is Himself.

This new realization has brought me so much peace in such a short amount of time (the time it has taken me to get to this point in the post, actually)!

Does this shed some light on your "Martha" struggle? Thoughts? Insights? Questions? Share them in the comments.

Peace to your hearts,
-M

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. Could you please explain what you meant by "So many of our worries are justifiable"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cyn,
      My pleasure! By "justifiable worries," I meant worries such as: "I want to do the best I can at my job," or "I want to be the best wife I can be." I mean worries that are the result of my desire to do what God wants.
      -M

      Delete